Wednesday, June 26, 2013

I Am Not Free

In the United States Constitution, it promises all people "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". And yet, I am not as free as a man. And if you're a woman, then neither are you.

I am not free to walk down a street alone without fear. I am not free to make the same wages as men. I am not free to make decisions about my own body - especially not in Texas. I am not free to make decisions about my sexuality without judgment. I am not free to speak out in a room full of men and be accorded the same respect. I am not free to claim harassment or assault if I was drinking or wearing certain clothes or making too much eye contact or somehow otherwise "asking for it".

I am not free.

I love America. I love this huge, fantastically diverse country; the most non-homogenous country on the entire planet. We are a nation of idealists - every one of us, every one of our families came here because they believed in the promise of a better life. A more free life.

Texas Governor Rick Perry says that, "Texans want a court system that is fair and just. We will not allow the breakdown of decorum and decency to prevent us from doing what the people of this state hired us to do."

Look at his diction. Decorum. Appropriateness of behavior or conduct; propriety.

Thousands of women raising their voices and asking to be heard is not appropriate?

You and I both know that this is not about fairness. If it was, the Texas Senate would not have attempted to blatantly thwart the court of justice by purposefully altering relevant court documents.

Is perjury "decorous" or "decent", Rick Perry?

This bill - this battle - is not about abortion. Nobody wants more abortions. They are a last-ditch effort; a wrenching last resort. And I'm quite sure that Rick Perry knows it. If this bill was ever simply about the beliefs that a majority of men hold about abortion, it isn't anymore. Now it is about the right of a woman to make her own choices, with her body and her voice.

Rick Perry and his supporters may disregard the voices of thousands of women demanding to be heard. But they won't stop speaking. Neither will I. And eventually, our voices will be heard.

I am not free. But I am a believer in freedom. And I am a believer in the people of America.

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely disgusting and disappointing.

    -BB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, now all the crazy Rick Perry stuff I've been reading on Twitter the past couple months makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed wholeheartedly. It's all about keeping women under their thumbs, not any sort of legal argument. I could go on for pages and pages, but I should probably cut myself off here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I won't tell you to sit down ;)

      Delete
  4. Great post and well written. I thank you for expressing the feelings of women everywhere; not just in US (I'm a Texan). Disregard the ignorant, disrespectful comments.

    ReplyDelete